The world is our oyster, but with so many places to visit, making a decision on where to travel next can be difficult. So why not turn to Instagram for some inspiration?
Showerstoyou.co.uk decided to have a look at the most ‘Instagrammable’ lakes around the world to help you decide on your next picturesque trip.
They collected the number of hashtags per lake in order to identify which one would make the best Instagram-worthy place to visit next.
Which lakes around the world are the most Insta famous?
1. In first place we find UK’s very popular Lake District with 2,951,548 hashtags. And while the area is composed of a multitude of lakes, we decide to take it as a whole due to the fact it is well known for its glacial ribbon bodies of water.
2. In second place is Lake Tahoe from US, with 2,459,104 hashtags. Situated between California and Nevada, it is also the largest alpine lake in North America, so it’s probably no surprise why it’s so high on the list. Indeed, the US is quite a popular destination for lake-lovers – 35% of the world’s most photographed lakes are in the Land of the Free!
3. Lake Michigan with 2,208,442 hashtags is one of the five Great Lakes in the US with 2,208,442 hashtags
4. Italy’s Lake Como, also known as Lario, is fourth with a whopping 1,412,597 hashtags. This beauty is the 5th deepest lake in Europe and an amazing destination to visit.
5. The Dead Sea bordering Jordan to the east, and Israel to the west makes the top five, with a whopping 1.1 million hashtags.
6. Lake Erie with 863,446 hashtags is one of the five Great Lakes in the US.
7. Lake Superior with 832,139 hashtags is one of the five Great Lakes in the US.
8. West Lake with 814,434 hashtags is a freshwater lake in Hangzhou, China. It is divided into five sections by three causeways.
9. The UK’s Loch Ness also tops the top 20 list with 528,075 hashtags.
10. Crater Lake with 429,825 hashtags is a crater lake in south-central Oregon in the US.
11. Lake Powell with 378,492 hashtags is a reservoir on the Colorado River, straddling the border between Utah and Arizona in the US.
12. Lake Huron with 377,916 hashtags is one of the five Great Lakes of North America.
13. Lake Bled with 297,334 hashtags is a lake in the Julian Alps of the Upper Carniolan region of northwestern Slovenia.
14. Moraine Lake with 213,733 hashtags is a glacially fed lake in Banff National Park, 14 kilometres outside the Village of Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada.
15. Lake Atitlan with 193,598 hashtags is a body of water in a massive volcanic crater in Guatemala’s southwestern highlands.
16. Caspian Sea with 186,905 hashtags is the world’s largest inland body of water, variously classed as the world’s largest lake. Located between Europe and Asia, to the east of the Caucasus Mountains and to the west of the broad steppe of Central Asia.
17. Lake Baikal with 172,137 hashtags is an ancient, massive lake in the mountainous Russian region of Siberia, north of the Mongolian border.
Data represents live Instagram scores, collected on 21/01/2020. All hashtag variations of lakes names are included in the results to acquire the most accurate results possible.